- Former cancer patient who said Savile saved her life now wants £60,000 for ‘sex abuse’ in latest questionable claim against his estate
- Claim one of many being laid against Savile’s estate found to be questionable
- Woman was a former cancer patient who once thanked him for helping to save her life
- Comes after it was revealed his great-niece is also have alleged to have made fraudulent claim
A former cancer patient who wrote to Jimmy Savile and thanked him for helping to save her life is claiming £60,000 damages for what she claims was a series of sexual assaults.
Her claim is one of many being laid against Savile’s estate which a Mail on Sunday investigation has found to be questionable.
Last month this newspaper revealed that West Yorkshire Police were investigating allegations that Savile’s great-niece, Caroline Robinson, is fraudulently claiming compensation for supposed assaults by Savile when she was 12 and 15.
The former patient wrote to Savile, pictured, and thanked him for helping to save his life. She is now claiming £60,000 worth of damages for what she claims was a series of sex assaults
The Mail on Sunday revealed last month there have been a series of questionable claims against the Savile estate
The inquiry was triggered by statements from close family members, including her daughter, Samantha Smith. A police spokesman said yesterday that the investigation is continuing.
Legal restrictions mean those who say they were victims of sexual crimes must remain anonymous, unless they waive their anonymity, as Ms Robinson did.
This means we cannot name the former cancer patient. But of the 211 claims for payments from Savile’s estate which have been lodged under a compensation scheme approved in February by the High Court, hers is one of the strangest.
Savile’s great-niece Caroline Robinson, who is alleged to have fraudulently claimed compensation for supposed assaults
Before Savile’s death in 2011, she wrote warmly of their long bedside conversations when she was at death’s door, saying how grateful she was that he treated her as someone with hopes, dreams and a future.
After his death, she ran short of money, and wrote a begging letter to the Savile Trust, the charity to which he left almost all his £4.7 million fortune.
It responded with a donation of £2,500. ‘Joyful news that Jimmy’s trust is going to help my determined mission to stay alive,’ she said in a thank-you note.
But now the same woman is claiming Savile sexually assaulted her numerous times in BBC dressing rooms and at his London flat.
Those who saw the pair together say they are astonished.
‘We spent an afternoon together, and she spoke of Jimmy with deep affection. I simply can’t believe he had been sexually assaulting her,’ said David Gloan, a music promoter who was Savile’s friend.
The woman’s mother initially promised to relay a statement from her to The Mail on Sunday, but later said this would not be possible.
Another questionable claim is from a man who says he visited Savile’s Leeds penthouse flat in December 1975 when he was a paperboy, to collect his Christmas bonus. Savile did not move into this flat until 1986.
This week, the Court of Appeal will hear a submission from the Savile Trust that the compensation scheme be quashed.
Its solicitor, Jo Summers, said: ‘The scheme seems designed to give money to anyone who claims they were abused, with minimal due diligence. We hope the Court of Appeal will address these concerns.
‘Otherwise, no one’s estate will be safe when they die.’