A 19 yr old was fined £2,000 for breaking Health & Safety laws. For smoking a hookah next to gas cylinders at his workplace. He also suffered burns and had to pay £2000 costs.
The company had already received general safety advice but because Mohammed Wasim Natha of Blackburn ignored the advice and smoked and injured himself, he was taken to court.
Councillor Arshid Mahmood said: “The defendant did not heed the warnings that health and safety officers had given him in an effort to assist the company.
“As a result, there was a serious risk both to public safety and employees. There was lack of awareness about the requirement of health and safety regulations which are in place for both the protection of staff and the public.
So it’s very dangerous to smoke. I didn’t know that. I thought it was more dangerous to have leaking gas cylinders around the property because even a spark from a light switch could have caused an explosion. The way the case has been written about in all the MSM that I could find it comes across that the smoking was the evil illegal bit whilst the H&S breech was only a technicality. I had to go as far afield as the Asian Image to find more details of the case which didn’t use the smoking of the hookah as the main point. The Asian Image includes the facts that the whole place was pretty much a H&S nightmare with trailing cables and inadequate lighting and leading to a total of 7 offences of H&S and just 2 for the smoking.
Even ASH who are so desperate to highlight the dangers of smoking have highlighted it.