Here in the Abbey it is very quiet. Almost all the other monks gone off on holidays to somewhere called Aya Napa, but at least I have been able to hustle pool in the Nun and Firkin and visit my friend Sister Eva Longoria from the Order of Blessed Relief.
However, since most of the politicos seem to have shut up too, I have had to find my amusement elsewhere in the weird and wonderful world of the press during the annual “Silly Season.”
Imust be developing some form of compulsive behaviour, because I have been compiling a lot of lists lately. Here’s another one, for a bit of light relief. My Top Ten “Silly Season” stories which have been in the media so far this month.
1. Britain’s largest wasp nest discovered in Southampton pub. What is that distant buzzing in the attic….?
2. Jesus spotted in crop circle near M4. Two stories for the price of one. Titter ye not, ye of little faith!
3. Caterpillars dance to evade predators. Sweet!
4. Cat rescue man is trapped in tree. Well, it was in Devon.
5. Remains of John the Baptist found in Bulgaria. You never know!
6. Irish Step dad found for gorilla baby. Aaaah!
7. “Moob Man” lurks behind Sue Turton! In case you wondering, it’s NOT me!
8. Adolf Hitler must stay in care. A tad harsh, and a shame about the cake ….
9. “Lonely” swan is serial killer? Don’t let that lost look fool you!
10. Sea Monster sighted off Paignton. A seasonal favourite, and no, it’s not a log.
Gildas the Monk