Mark Wadsworth has listed a series of points that could be used by a future YES2EU campaign based on the same idea that the NO2AV campaign used to push the FPTP system.
In other words lies, half truths and invalid facts. The point is that the lies need refuting and clarifying and explaining. To do that means you have to write detailed articles to explain why the lies are wrong. But by then you are already on the back foot with the electorate. They will only read the simple short points and not detailed essays. They will also only notice points which connect with them. With the AV/FPTP referendum nothing in it connected with the vast majority of the electorate. Most of them seemed to have said “meh”.
Anyway, if there was a NO2EU campaign that got its attack in first then I’ve listed some points that could be used. They don’t need to be true, only perceived to be true. They can be totally false. The figures used need to be correct, but can be twisted just like any statistic issued by Number 10.
- X number of jobs depend on foreign trade outside of the EU.
- The EU has the European Arrest Warrant which trumps our justice system.
- The EU takes x amount in taxes etc from our government. It only gives back y.
- Being out of the EU means we can do things locally according to British practises, not French or German or Spanish.
- We can buy British products without being forced to buy other country’s products.
- We don’t need to prop up French farms.
- We don’t need to bail out failing countries.
- We aren’t a big world power any more, we should tactically retreat.
- The ‘in’ campaign is funded by communists.
- The EU can only survive by taking more and more of our laws.
- Our parliament has to ask the EU for certain laws.
- The queen is subservient to the EU.
- The EU is an unelected organisation.
- We can have our pounds/ounces.
- The EU forces us to let prisoners vote.
Have I got the list right? I’m sure more points could be added.
For some ideas this out of date list of the top fifty reasons why the EU is good could be used.